Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock

So now that I have just about depleted my chicken stock from last year it's time to make some more:) 
Which is just about one of my favorite things to do!!  It makes the hou 0 cse smell so amazing!! So when life hands you an emply chicken carcass from a rotissierie chicken....you make chicken stock!

I've tried it with baking my chicken pieces first & then making the stock but the carcass makes such a more flavorful stock!! 

Chicken Stock:
1 chicken carcass or 2-3 assorted chicken pieces
1-2 medium onion - quartered "not need to peel seeing that you will be running stock thru a sieve)**this time I used a white & red onion
2 carrots - peeled & cut into chunks
3-4 stalks celery w/ leaves-cut in half
**now this is where you can be inventive on what you add to your stock--I also add 1-2 parsnips-peeled & cut in half
I made mushroom soup & I saved the stems to go into the stock
I had a daikon radish left so that also went in-no need to peel this
I also added 3 leeks with the stem cut off

The herbs that will go into this is:
1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1-2 sprigs fresh sage
fresh parsley sprigs
2 bay leaves

so throw all of the above into a large stock pot~fill pot with water to top & then add:
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 chicken bouillion cubes....stir all together well

Bring to a boil - reduce heat & simmer covered (very few bubbles coming to surface) for at least 2 hours & up to 4 hours (you can let it go longer if you wish)
Skimming off foam as needed

Once stock is done~let cool for a bit~strain stock through a small holed colander~discard carcass & veggies....
Return stock to oven and add:
2 chicken bouillion cubes
dried parsley to taste
salt & pepper
dried thyme to taste
chicken base to taste

VOILA!!  Beautiful chicken stock

You can either transform this into chicken soup or just freeze it and use it when needed :)
Depending on the size of stock pot you use you will get about 20 cups of stock. I freeze some in 2 cup incriments & also 4 cup (which is the size of the stock you can get in the store)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment