Saturday, December 3, 2011

Celery what??

That is what I hear the most this time of year from the produce people at my local grocery store when I ask them when they are getting their seasonal delivery of Celeriac......

You know.....the knobly root that tastes & smells very similar to celery.....except a bit bigger.
So the grocery store finally received it so I figured I better grab & get some frozen for winter soup use.

So basically I just cut in half - cut those halves into slices & just cut around to remove the skin.

After that is done I just cut into bite size pieces & get them ready for the blanching process.

They will get blanched for 4 minutes & immediately get put into an ice water bath to stop them from cooking & getting all mushy....
My rule of thumb is to let them in the ice bath as long as they were blanched...
After they are done I remove them using my awesome spider & dry them using paper towel...

Then I just pack them in a good quality freezer bag - label - date & freeze flat.

Very tasty in soups....you could also roast them in some olive oil - choice of spices in a 400 degree oven 25-30 min or until fork tender.....

Yummo!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment